February: a month mostly associated with cold weather and sitting inside the house. But you really shouldn’t! February is a great month to explore Amsterdam. There are many reasons to leave our cozy hostel and explore the Dutch capital, even if you have to affront a bit of cold and rain. Therefore we want to share our top things to do this February in Amsterdam with you!
Of course, Valentine day is almost here, so we will share some romantic tips (if you hate the romantic crap, scroll down for a more general to-do list):
- What better way to spend Valentine’s day in Amsterdam, than on a romantic boat? Take a trip on the Love Boat and see the pretty city passing by while enjoying a 4 course dinner with your lover.
- Nice to do on Valentine’s day, or any other day: see a movie at Tuschinski. This beautifully decorated theatre makes whatever movie you’re watching extra special.
- Feel like you should do something more crazy on Valentine’s in Amsterdam? Get married for a day! Get yourself in a dress & suite, get a ceremony, and get many pictures. Best part: after 24 hours there are no strings attached at all. Available in different languages.
If you don’t have a lover to cuddle up to or want to stay away from all things romantic, there’s still loads to do. Here are our favorite things to do this February in Amsterdam:
- Visit the festival 24H Oost; a great way to explore Amsterdam like a local! On the 14th and 15th of February, you can explore everything that makes the east side of Amsterdam such a unique and wonderful place. Eat, drink, follow workshops, listen to music and walk around this lively area. Check out the program here.
- If you’re up for a good party, go to the Wonderland Festival on Saturday the 14th. 16 Ours long of partying in an old factory, in an atmosphere that tries to resemble Alice’s (yes, the one of Wonderland) world.
- After a night of partying you might want to do something cultural, but probably nothing too heavy. The Tropenmuseum is perfect for this. If you thought selfies are a new phenomenon, they’ll prove you wrong. At the exhibition ‘Look at Me’ selfies from the 19th century till now, from all over the world, are shown.
- Spring isn’t far away, but we still have a whole month of cold to enjoy. No better way to enjoy it, than to try your ice-skating moves at the Museumplein! Don’t forget to bring your camera to take some epic pictures with the Iamsterdam-sign in the background. Find more info here.
- Afterwards, warm up with a nice cup of hot chocolate, next to a fireplace. For example at Hanneke’s Boom, which you can find right next to the Central Station.
- Dutch food is truly comfort food, which is best eaten in wintertime. Don’t leave Amsterdam without trying one of the Dutch mash-specialties for a good price at ‘t Stamppotje.
Enjoy February foaks! And let us know which of our tips you’ve enjoyed most…